Posted: | Updated:
To Our Incoming Kindergarten Families
The kindergarten team at Lafayette is so excited to meet you and welcome your little ones to school here in the fall. Our goal is to make sure you and your child are feeling comfortable about what to expect, and we look forward to getting to know you this year. To our returning families, welcome back! We look forward to continuing our partnerships with you.
- No Jump Start: Lafayette will not be participating in Jump Start this year. However…
- Family Connections: We will absolutely have a chance to meet (either in person or remotely, TBD) before the school year starts. We look forward to meeting with you and your child to get to know you better, find out more about your child, and answer any questions you may have.
Family Connection Conferences
We are so excited to meet you and welcome your new Lafayette Leopard to kindergarten. We know this is an exciting milestone and a big deal in you and your child’s life, and with that can come a variety of feelings. We want to take an opportunity to talk with you and say hi to our wonderful new students before the first day of school. This can help put your child at ease, and we can get to know you better and answer any questions you may have.
Once you find out who your child’s teacher is, you can sign up for a Family Connection Conference with them at the appropriate link below.
Who is my child’s teacher?
You will be receiving a postcard from the school in late August letting you know who your child’s kindergarten teacher will be. Once postcards have gone out, you can expect to receive communication from the teacher regarding scheduling a Family Connections meeting and other information about the start of the school year.
First Day of School
The first official day of kindergarten is Monday, September 12th, 2022. Please note that grades 1st-12th start earlier, on Wednesday, September 7th. Kindergarten has been given this extra time in order to meet with families and help prepare students for the beginning of the year.
Tears and Cheers!
If you have a moment, or need a moment, to join other Kindergarten Families after dropping off your little one on Monday, September 12th for their first day of elementary school, please join us in the Lafayette Cafeteria directly after drop-off for coffee, tea and treats from the PTA.
Administrators and PTA parents will be onsite to hand you a tissue or high five you for making it to full time school and answer any questions you may have about the school year ahead for your student!
Please enter through the main school entrance on California Avenue, and we will see you then!
September 12 at 7:55 a.m. in the Lafayette Cafeteria
Visit our School Supplies page for information for all grade levels.
The kindergarten supply list is also included below for your convenience.
Kindergarten School Supply List
- Pencil box
- 3 plastic folders (1 red, 1 yellow, 1 blue)
- 1 box of crayons (preferably large crayons)
- 1 box of Crayola skin-colored crayons (preferably large crayons)
- 1 box of fine tip dry erase markers
- 1 set of markers
- 1 set of colored pencils
- 1 box of pre sharpened pencils (preferably Ticonderoga brand)
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1 glue stick (preferably purple glue)
- 1 pencil sharpener (with shavings container attached)
- 1 eraser
- 3 Primary Composition Notebooks – example of the composition books requested
- 1 pair of headphones (over the ear; no Bluetooth) Headphones
- Hand sanitizer for classroom
- 2 boxes of Kleenex
- Clorox wipes for classroom
We know kindergarten is a big milestone in your child’s life, and we can’t wait to work with you to ensure that your child has a successful (and fun) year!
Saturday, August 20 at 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the Lafayette Playground – All Kindergarten
Saturday, August 27 at 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the Lafayette Playground – All Kindergarten
Tuesday, September 6 at 4-6 p.m. Back to School Event at the Lafayette Playground – All School